Friday, May 26, 2017

Original Poem Post 1 - "Rocks"

Before you read (and judge) this poem, I'd first like to point out that poetry is not my favorite (by any means) form of writing. It's often difficult to understand, and even more difficult to write. As I will explain after I have posted all five of my original poems, I did not write these poems by choice, but by necessity. So, if the quality is lacking, as I'm sure many of you will point out, just bear with me. And to provide some idea of how my poetry did (or did not) improve throughout the year, these poems will be consecutively posted once per day in chronological order.

Now, I would love to read any poetry you have written, so if you're comfortable with doing so, drop a link in the comments and I'll check it out.

And yes, I am aware that I wrote this poem about rocks. And no, I was not drinking (I'm too young anyway). Basically, this poem was written long after dark and with several cups of coffee. Enjoy (or don't).


Rocks
I remember stacking
Piles of rocks,
Noticing that they always tumbled and scattered and fell
When they were seven high.

I remember packing
Those same stones
Into an empty box
To bury in the attic and save for later.

I remember rediscovering
Those worthless chunks of earth
When I was searching for something else,
Wondering why I had gathered them to begin with.

I remember hurling
Those rough rocks
As if I were David himself,
Shattering the glass of my Goliath.

I remember tossing
Pebbles
At a boarded window,
Never shattering that glass division.

I remember sifting
Warm sand
Through the landscape of my palm,
Wondering If I was also sand on some shore.

I remember packing
That same sand
Into an empty bottle
To sprinkle on the sidewalk and the soil.

I remember stacking
Piles of rocks,
Noticing that they always tumbled and scattered and fell
Before I could even pile two on top of each other.






0 comments: